Reason To Create The Brand
Big Idea worked with B&Q Paint Buyers, Marketing and Merchandising for over eight years. Our mission was to differentiate B&Q Colours from other Own Label paints and the leading paint brands. It started very simply. Colours was created as a no-nonsense name for the range of own label paints. It is now an international cross-category private label brand.
Strategic Start Points
- It started with a can of paint…
- Until the launch of B&Q Colours, the own label paint range just followed the leading paint ranges, at a lower price.
- The opportunity lay in developing their own range of paints and to give their customers more reasons to buy B&Q paint, than simply on price.
How we worked on B&Q Colours
- Strategic insights – the decision to create a paint range that met the needs of the B&Q shopper, instead of the upmarket brand buyer
- Team collaboration – to build a team consisting of brand designers, colour marketing experts, paint producers, raw materials suppliers and colour card manufacturers. This team focus enabled faster product innovations in packaging, formulations and ranges.
- Product and packaging ideas – from introducing transparent containers to new product ideas such as Everywhere and ingredient brands such as DuPont SmartPaint.
- Colour marketing expertise – to create best-selling colour palettes, with evocative colour names and helpful colour cards
- Pack design ideas – to simplify product choice and add perceived value.
Brand Revitalisation Result
- New brand
- New looks
- New colours
- New colour names for retail client.