Reason to revitalise the brand
Crown is one of the great heritage brands of British wallpaper, founded in the 19th Century. It is owned by CWV and has always been a popular brand with practical appeal for families. Crown wallpaper is a hard-wearing range of vinyl wallpaper products with a range of specialist wallpapers for bathrooms and kitchens.
The challenge for mass market wallpaper brands has been to compete successfully against paint for share of wall space. Manufacturers have invested in improving the ease of application and in improving the design appeal. They have also been careful to stay in tune with paint colour palettes because of the trend to co-ordinate a feature wall of wallpaper with three painted walls.
Strategic Start Points
- Explore how to ‘bring back the crown’ because the logo had lost the visual link to the ‘crown’ and its association with top class performance.
- Retain the core brand colours based on yellow, the colour of royalty, sunshine and creativity, together with a clean bright blue reminiscent of summer skies.
- Remove the references to Home Furnishings.
- Updated the colour palette with a modern yellow, blue and silver combination.
Brand logo and icon
- Simplified the logo and Crown icon for greater visual impact.
- ‘Creative designs for everyday living’
Brand hierarchy of communication
Create a consistent brand hierarchy of communication for every product label, using:
- The crown icon for brand recognition
- Features and benefits
- Legal information
How we worked with Crown
- Brand heritage, personality and promise
- Benchmarking competitors
- Brand mood board
- Creative brief to focus on the desired result
- Colour palette to fit the brand personality
- Concept sketchbook
- Logo formats
- Label hierarchy of communication
- Label concepts
- Design development & detailing
- Brand guidelines
Brand Revitalisation Result
- New brand, new look, new confidence, new clients